Those leftover veggies that are still good and crunchy, but you're just done with them for now... Instead of letting them go soft or throwing them out, why not do a quick Mulling Spice pickle? So easy, and so delicious on so many things. One of my faves is to load up some homemade tacos with meat, cheese, sour cream, etc. and then top it with these acidic little gems to brighten and balance the flavors.
1. Select your ingredients. Apple or rice vinegar, sugar, pickling spices (I used mulling spices), and veggies, (I used a zuchini, mini cucumber, white onion, and carrots).
2. Slice as desired.
3. Combine in a large bowl.
4. Stuff in mason jars.
5. Pour pickling spice liquid over veggies leaving 1/2 inch of space at top of jar and cover.
MULLING SPICE QUICK PICKLED VEGGIES.
Prep Time: 20 mins Cook Time: App. 5 mins Total Time: 25 mins Servings: Many
4 Cups sliced assorted crunchy vegetables
2 Cups Rice or Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Cups Water
3 Tbsp Mulling or Pickling Spices
4 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tsp Salt
1. Combine vegetables in a large bowl and mix.
2. Stuff vegetables loosely in mason jars.
3. Combine vinegar and pickling spices in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and turn burner off. Cool to room temp.
4. Pour spiced liquid over the vegetables, leaving 1/2 inch space at the top.
5. Cover and let cool.
6. Refridgerate up to 3 weeks. PRINT
Make extra and give some away!